Billings, MT | April 19-September 4, 2011 | Fertile Ground; Ceramic Art In Montana

Fertile Ground: Ceramic Art in Montana at the Yellowstone Art Museum in Billings, Montana

April 19, 2011 - September 4, 2011

Montana has a rich tradition in the ceramic arts, thanks in large part to the extraordinary Archie Bray Foundation in Helena. This unprecedented incubator for ceramic artists has drawn the best and brightest for 60 years. As part of a statewide celebration of the Bray's 60th, the YAM is proud to participate with a choice selection of works from our permanent collection. Sculpture and vessels from the hands of Rudy Autio, Peter Voulkos, Frances Senska, Richard Notkin, David Shaner, Josh DeWeese, and Marcia Selsor will be included.

Guest JBaymore

I don't know......... Marcia are you feeling OK with them letting that Volkous guy in that show with you? wink.gif

Congratulations Marcia...... something to be very proud of.

best,

...................john

It is exciting but only three in the list are still living. Sad. Frances Senska was a dear mentor when I first arrived in Montana in 1975. A Dave Shaner teapot on a Bray poster when I was in college was one strong impetus to go to Montana. My dear friend, Louana Lackey, was the biographer of Rudy Autio. We drove across many times Montana while she worked on the book and I got to know Rudy and his wife Lela fairly well. Voulkos was always a larger than life figure. Josh and Richard are friends and still alive. I also hosted Kurt Weiser, Rosie Wynkoop, Ovidio Gilberga and other Bray residents as visiting artists at the University where I taught. The Bray was an incredible asset for teaching ceramics in Montana. I also took students to visit...500 miles round trip in a day. Normal for Montana distances. 500 miles of beautiful scenery is ok. I feel closest to Chip Clawson who managed the Bray clay business for as long as I taught in Montana and longer. I could call up with a PO# , recite the order on the message machine and have a delivery without a flaw. Good business partner. Happy 60th Anniversary to the Archie Bray Foundation, a wonderful Clay place.

Marcia

It is exciting but only three in the list are still living. Sad. Frances Senska was a dear mentor when I first arrived in Montana in 1975. A Dave Shaner teapot on a Bray poster when I was in college was one strong impetus to go to Montana. My dear friend, Louana Lackey, was the biographer of Rudy Autio. We drove across many times Montana while she worked on the book and I got to know Rudy and his wife Lela fairly well. Voulkos was always a larger than life figure. Josh and Richard are friends and still alive. I also hosted Kurt Weiser, Rosie Wynkoop, Ovidio Gilberga and other Bray residents as visiting artists at the University where I taught. The Bray was an incredible asset for teaching ceramics in Montana. I also took students to visit...500 miles round trip in a day. Normal for Montana distances. 500 miles of beautiful scenery is ok. I feel closest to Chip Clawson who managed the Bray clay business for as long as I taught in Montana and longer. I could call up with a PO# , recite the order on the message machine and have a delivery without a flaw. Good business partner. Happy 60th Anniversary to the Archie Bray Foundation, a wonderful Clay place.

Marcia

Congratualtions Marcia! A well deserved honor indeed.

Regards,

Charles

Archived