Community Status Updates

Photo

ChenowethArts

I have two very large containers of dried Coleman Porcelain staring at me. I really don't want to sound ungrateful for the 'gift'....what I wouldn't do for a nearby ballmill :)
Mar 11 2015 08:21 AM
  • Denice's Photo
    Denice
    I got a gift like that years ago. I came home and there was 10 5gal buckets of dried clay in my driveway. No idea what temp of clay it was. We lived near a dry creek so we dumped them there.
    Mar 11 2015 08:37 AM
  • ChenowethArts's Photo
    ChenowethArts
    Marcia, That is the direction I am taking now: Doing one 5 Gal. bucket of ping-pong ball sized chunks at a time, placing those in a heavy plastic bag with minimal water, then partially submerging the bag into a trash can container filled with water. I want to see how this goes. Many thanks for the input!!
    Mar 11 2015 02:09 PM
  • Marcia Selsor's Photo
    Marcia Selsor
    if you can, chop it up with a sledge hammer and presoak it. Add paper pulp it you like of just resoak and dry to a good throwing consistency. Don't over wet it so it separates. stir with s drill attachment regularly.Then, dry.I recycle it regularly. If you use a jiffy mixer or a heavy drill mixed, the lump dissolve easily.

Mar 11 2015 02:46 PM
Photo

ChenowethArts

There was this strangly bright orb in the sky today...probably some extraterrestrial who just wanted to steal our snow :)
Mar 08 2015 07:27 PM
  • Chilly's Photo
    Chilly
    We had two days in a row where it lived in the sky, then yesterday was just grey, grey, grey. Today it's back - but still chilly in the shade, 8C at 9am.
    Mar 10 2015 05:15 AM
  • Cavy Fire Studios's Photo
    Cavy Fire Studios
    When I was in Ireland during the winter and spring, the glowing orb was kind of like a fairytale. Rain, rain, rain. I'm guessing that England isn't much different this time of year! :)
    Mar 10 2015 05:02 PM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    This was around eight years ago, btw. :D
    Mar 10 2015 05:05 PM
Photo

Joseph F

Finally got around to firing my bisque with a peep out and vent on! Bloating be GONE!
Mar 08 2015 12:41 PM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Geez! What a finnicky little brat of a clay body. Maybe you got a poopy batch..? :S
    Mar 10 2015 05:24 PM
  • Joseph F's Photo
    Joseph F
    I am not sure. I will keep testing it little by little. = )
    Mar 10 2015 05:53 PM
  • Crusty's Photo
    Crusty
    bisque it to 04 then take it to cone 4 then use low fire glazes on it ? that will burn the gasses off and still give you glaze options... it might work? I dunno , im still working with it myself, its some wicked clay...

Mar 13 2015 10:30 AM
Photo

Marcia Selsor

Thursday there will be sun!
Mar 08 2015 08:25 AM
Photo

Mark C.

firing two glaze fires in gas kilns today-same schedule as last week
Mar 07 2015 01:33 PM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Dang! You're a machine! :) I was proud of trimming/carving 8 big yarn bowls yesterday and trimming/handling a few mugs! :D Granted, I slipped everything, too, but still... geez!
    Mar 07 2015 02:30 PM
Photo

Marcia Selsor

Ready for a week of heavy rains. I know it isn't what many of you are suffering right now, but I need sunshine in the winter.
Mar 06 2015 07:33 AM
  • kswan's Photo
    kswan
    My arms are sore from shoveling the 6 inches of snow we got yesterday, but the sun is shining today at least. :)
    Mar 06 2015 09:11 AM
  • Denice's Photo
    Denice
    You can just send that rain to KS. We are still in a drought. I would give up our first week of sunshine for rain.
    Mar 06 2015 10:12 AM
Photo

Amy Eberhardt

12 hours and STILL haven't reached ^5, new elements not withstanding. Please, Oh Mighty Kiln Gods, show mercy on this tired old worry wort. Let the kiln sitter trip already!!!
Mar 05 2015 12:30 AM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Bloody hell, that's a stresser. I usually fire that slow anyway, hehe. My glazes like lotsa time to bubble and melt... :)
    Mar 05 2015 12:17 PM
  • Amy Eberhardt's Photo
    Amy Eberhardt
    I'm pleased with the results of some pieces, and less than thrilled with others. And some of them are growing on me...kind of like mold!
    Mar 05 2015 07:55 PM
  • Denice's Photo
    Denice
    That is a long firing you might ask in the Equipment and Repair section if there is something else you need to replace. I know they replace other parts when I had mine rewired.
    Mar 07 2015 07:04 PM
Photo

High Bridge Pottery

So many new white/clear glaze tests. It's so amazing/frustrating how the same stuff can do so many different things.
Mar 04 2015 01:31 PM
  • Roberta12's Photo
    Roberta12
    Joel, have you mixed up any from the John Britt book?
    Mar 06 2015 09:45 PM
Photo

Roberta12

Making bowls for the Empty Bowl Fundraiser!
Mar 04 2015 11:32 AM
  • Pres's Photo
    Pres
    Made mine in November knowing it was coming. However, never got them glaze fired. HOping I can do so next week as we will have near 50.F forecast.
    Mar 04 2015 07:52 PM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Um...what's that? :D
    Mar 05 2015 02:02 PM
  • Roberta12's Photo
    Roberta12
    check out emptybowls.net It's a really neat program. Potters donating their time/skill to raise money for soup kitchens/etc.

Mar 06 2015 09:43 PM
Photo

Marcia Selsor

One day, today, of a hot blast from the Yucatan, then the Siberian express comes back tomorrow night. When will this settle down to normal.
Mar 04 2015 10:02 AM
  • Pres's Photo
    Pres
    Yeah, consider yourself blessed at this point. I am dealing with 1" of ice on my double wide sidewalks I do, 100 yards.
    Mar 04 2015 10:44 AM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Yikes, Pres! O.o... Haha, Marcia's in Texas, that state has some wild weather. It's in the mid-40s and sunny here! Perfect for a guinea. :)
    Mar 04 2015 02:22 PM
Photo

Amy Eberhardt

Holy Mother of Pearl! Now I know why kiln shops charge so freaking much to install new elements!!! That's quite a job!
Mar 03 2015 01:51 PM
  • Roberta12's Photo
    Roberta12
    Yeah, don't scrimp on elements. But it's good to have it done, isn't it?
    Mar 04 2015 11:33 AM
  • Amy Eberhardt's Photo
    Amy Eberhardt
    Yes it is Roberta! Not something I care to repeat any time soon. Thankfully, I don't fire all that often, so this kiln should now outlive me! ;)
    Mar 04 2015 11:40 AM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Omfg, I hear you, sister. I have an old kiln, too, and changing his elements woulda tested the patience of Mother Theresa! It's really great crimping those dang wires with arthritic hands, too. Argh!
    Mar 04 2015 02:25 PM
Photo

Amy Eberhardt

Just when I thought I was safe to resume the new element installation on my kiln, the little neighbor boy comes over hoping for his second lesson on wheel throwing. Bless his 7 year old little soul.....Now I'm WAY behind schedule!
Mar 02 2015 09:39 PM
Photo

Sherman

Digging the new forum on equipment. We're hoping this will help keep things clean and neat, like all of our studios :)
Mar 02 2015 01:56 PM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Clean and neat studio. Ha. Haha. BAHAHAHAHAW *SNORT*
    Mar 02 2015 03:00 PM
  • Marcia Selsor's Photo
    Marcia Selsor
    switching back to porcelain after making saggars. More cleaning than I expected. Domino theory. kiln shed, garage, studio cycles.

Mar 02 2015 04:58 PM
Photo

sparklingmango

I have spent the last 3 nights up till the early hours researching kilns and firing cycles. Bloop!
Mar 02 2015 10:02 AM
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Welcome to ceramics addiction anonymous. :D
    Mar 02 2015 03:01 PM
  • High Bridge Pottery's Photo
    High Bridge Pottery
    It is a vicious cycle. The more you know the less you know the more you need to know.
    Mar 02 2015 08:38 PM
  • Diesel Clay's Photo
    Diesel Clay
    Welcome to our lives. Next up: trying do decipher glaze chemistry, which you've already touched with that whole Egyptian paste thing...
    Mar 03 2015 05:07 PM
Photo

Crusty

Good morning everyone, have a great day.. I am off to bed.. lol
Mar 02 2015 09:21 AM