Community Status Updates

Photo

ChenowethArts

I think I dreamed that I figured out a way to do slow-drying, only quickly...'might have something to do with a late night Pizza :)
Jun 02 2015 10:21 AM
  • High Bridge Pottery's Photo
    High Bridge Pottery
    Cheese is always very good for vivid dreams
    Jun 02 2015 12:48 PM
  • Pres's Photo
    Pres
    Downdraft tables
    Jun 02 2015 04:28 PM
  • Joseph F's Photo
    Joseph F
    Pizza does it every time.
    Jun 02 2015 08:54 PM
Photo

Amy Eberhardt

I'm beginning to think that the Kiln Gods hate me! :(
Jun 02 2015 10:06 AM
  • Celia UK's Photo
    Celia UK
    Oh no Amy - the best and worst part of ceramics to my mind. Joy opening a successful glaze fire, distress opening an unsuccessful one! I'm making assumptions here of course.
    Jun 03 2015 03:12 AM
  • Denice's Photo
    Denice
    Maybe you need to make a little kiln god before every firing.
    Jun 03 2015 09:08 AM
  • Amy Eberhardt's Photo
    Amy Eberhardt
    Well, the Kiln Gods hate my kiln at the very least. Here we go again. Another $100 to get her back up and running right. Somebody kindly explain to me why one can buy two infinite switches for the price of ONE 3 heat switch! I'd really like to know! *sigh* Oh well, it is what it is. When I inherited this kiln, it was likely in need of a complete overhaul anyhow. She's still cheaper than buying new. For the moment. That could change suddenly. :(
    Jun 03 2015 08:08 PM
Photo

Joseph F

I <3 ceramics.
Jun 01 2015 08:49 PM
  • ChenowethArts's Photo
    ChenowethArts
    You are truly among friends :)
    Jun 02 2015 05:48 AM
  • Joseph F's Photo
    Joseph F
    Hah, I put the raven away. I never could figure out the bloating. Pretty sad really. I might pick it up again in the future, but for now. No ravens on my shoulder.
    Jun 02 2015 07:42 AM
  • Marcia Selsor's Photo
    Marcia Selsor
    I <3 ceramics too!

Jun 02 2015 11:54 AM
Photo

NFallon

Cleaned studio. Getting ready to switch from reddish brown clay to white, B-Mix.
Jun 01 2015 06:21 PM
  • Joseph F's Photo
    Joseph F
    Isn't it fun. I did that like 4 times in the past few months. Finally went back to porcelain and gave up the rest. Now I just use slips when I want to change colors.
    Jun 01 2015 09:15 PM
Photo

Marcia Selsor

Trying to get everything finished and some things possibly shipped before June 10 when I leave for Tuscany V. Since we've had no one post on the thread besides myself and Holly, I am convinced there are no members of this forum coming along.
Jun 01 2015 11:20 AM
  • Crusty's Photo
    Crusty
    have fun and take a billion pictures for us..

Jun 01 2015 10:02 PM
  • bciskepottery's Photo
    bciskepottery
    You got #3 tonight.
    Jun 01 2015 10:26 PM
  • Marcia Selsor's Photo
    Marcia Selsor
    yay! someone has joined the forum.
    Jun 02 2015 08:21 AM
Photo

GiselleNo5

Today we unloaded a huge glaze kiln containing three months' work. Some of the pieces are better than I thought ... but the kiln overfired on the lower shelves and caused pits and blisters. Will regroup tomorrow when I'm less upset and figure out what's salvageable.
Jun 01 2015 03:39 AM
  • GiselleNo5's Photo
    GiselleNo5
    I had a talk with my one friend who is an experienced potter and her advice matches yours exactly. At this point it's an unusable item so I'm not risking anything. Really I had lots of good results and lots of items that came out beautifully and this is only my third kiln load ever. I'm just being a perfectionist.
    Jun 01 2015 11:56 AM
  • Joseph F's Photo
    Joseph F
    Wow. 3rd load with successful pots is fantastic. Congratulations. Im on my like 50th firing and I still toss away 99% of everything.
    Jun 01 2015 01:18 PM
  • GiselleNo5's Photo
    GiselleNo5
    Oh my word I would die. I'm using commercial glazes so I'm sure that makes a difference. This load I would say 1/2 were wonderful, no flaws, the othe 1/2 had tiny flaws mostly and a few were really messed up. The kiln we used is huge, its so big I have to stand on a 2 ft stepladder and bend upside down to load the bottom shelf.I fired around 75 items. I'll post photos tomorrow.
    Jun 01 2015 11:57 PM
Photo

ChenowethArts

I must have blinked. What happened to May?
May 31 2015 08:37 PM
  • alabama's Photo
    alabama
    May went quickly due to copious amounts of spam, two tornadoes, plus the earthquake inside your kiln!
    May 31 2015 10:25 PM
  • Pres's Photo
    Pres
    Probably for you, went away with grades, graduation and prepping studio for Summer classes!
    May 31 2015 10:28 PM
  • ChenowethArts's Photo
    ChenowethArts
    Alabama, Pres...you guys are probably right on all points. This was a crazy month!
    Jun 01 2015 05:11 AM
Photo

Chilly

Only the strawberry plants are left in the greenhouse/studio, I've got loads space again. Whoooppee. Time get those tiles made ready for scout camp.
May 31 2015 06:35 AM
  • Cavy Fire Studios's Photo
    Cavy Fire Studios
    I wish I could grow things. :3 I even tried harvesting dandelion seeds to grow them for my buns, and I couldn't even get THEM to sprout! :D I'm hopeless...
    Jun 01 2015 12:18 PM
Photo

Chilly

Only the strawberry plants are left greenhouse/studio, I've got loads space again. Whoooppee. Time get those tiles made ready for scout camp.
May 31 2015 06:34 AM
Photo

Evelyne Schoenmann

Those spammers are an aweful nuisance!! Go get some respectable work guys and you won't have enough spare time to get on our nerves!
May 31 2015 03:09 AM
  • JBaymore's Photo
    JBaymore
    It is being worked on. The Mods and the Admin are all trying to get this attack solved as soon as we can. Forums all over the web are having issues with these Korean spammers at the moment. We know some of you are seeing a lot of this stuff.... but believe it or not you are likely not seeing MOST of it...... last night alone it was in the THOUSAND posts category. Remember...... the US White House recently had people hack into its computers, the US IRS just had the same, just about every m...
    Jun 01 2015 10:16 AM
  • JBaymore's Photo
    JBaymore
    continuing from above.....

just about every major business has had their customer accounts compromised recently. This stuff is not easy.
    Jun 01 2015 10:18 AM
  • Benzine's Photo
    Benzine
    I would imagine, it is not easy. I appreciate the work the Administrators and Moderators do.
    Jun 01 2015 10:59 AM
Photo

Joseph F

Test Tiles in Kiln. WOO WOO
May 30 2015 07:56 PM
  • Joseph F's Photo
    Joseph F
    4 of the 20 tiles came out nice. Now I need to test on bigger pieces.
    May 31 2015 12:35 PM
Photo

rakukuku

ok so i am boxing up my featured artist show for my coop gallery for delivery tomorrow and set up monday morning. trading spaces with another ceramic artist so its always the move and move again deal. made the tags, can't wait for it to get done. will post more pics as i can. have a yoga class of local animals
May 30 2015 07:36 PM
  • alabama's Photo
    alabama
    How many pieces are involved? How long did it take to get done to make the inventory?
    May 31 2015 11:27 PM
Photo

NFallon

Back from France...In Paris art is like a morning fog, it is in every corner of the city. Now I understand the Impressionists
May 30 2015 06:38 AM
  • NFallon's Photo
    NFallon
    Alabama...we're you the one person reading my blog?...lol
    May 31 2015 06:52 AM
  • alabama's Photo
    alabama
    So how does French pottery compare to
    The USA and Canada?
    May 31 2015 07:05 PM
  • NFallon's Photo
    NFallon
    Can't say really. I expected to see some at Montmarte, but all of the artist I encountered were painters. One studio in the small stone village of Olargue was closed for lunch (12p-2:00p - gotta love those hours). I did find a road side gallery that was on par with what finds in the US...but my sampling was very small. So, I need to go back for a bigger sampling!
    Jun 01 2015 06:20 PM
Photo

Mark C.

spam attact-the largest I have seen so far-3 pages on events page so far and a few radom threads need a ray gun to zap them
May 30 2015 01:11 AM
  • GiselleNo5's Photo
    GiselleNo5
    I'd like the spam, spam, spam, baked beans, and spam without the baked beans, please.
    May 30 2015 02:08 PM
  • Mark C.'s Photo
    Mark C.
    another attack tonight
    May 31 2015 02:13 AM
  • Benzine's Photo
    Benzine
    I wonder, are the attacks coming from North, or South Korea?
    May 31 2015 08:23 AM
Photo

rakukuku

just uploaded pic of my leonard nimoy tribute
May 29 2015 08:41 PM
  • Cavy Fire Studios's Photo
    Cavy Fire Studios
    Live long and prosper. ♥
    May 30 2015 02:49 AM
  • alabama's Photo
    alabama
    Klaatu barada nikto
    May 30 2015 07:26 AM
  • rakukuku's Photo
    rakukuku
    beam me up scottie was Kirk's quote. and Bones always said "he's dead Jim". but Spock was live long and prosper. love spock.
    May 30 2015 12:46 PM