Thanks Marcia. Yeah, we moved back in July and this is an older home than where I lived before. Unfortunately, I don't think rewiring is an option. Doing a test fire with some overglaze right now and all the lights are fading in and out, so going to try an outlet in the kitchen later. Thanks again.
The size of the wire is important. I am having trouble with my electric kiln using a 220 outlet. I can fire to cone 06, no problem, but rarely can make it up to a cone 6 which is needed for my glazes. My kiln is in an old shop with old wiring and even though the plug is on it's own breaker, the old wire from the transformer pole to the building seems to be too light to allow it to get to cone 6. The longer the span of wire is from power source (transformer) to panel box, the more power loss occurs. I work for an electric utility company so have picked my co-workers brain endlessly about this. They all tell me to upgrade the wiring.