All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. hulk no crazing I can see and no clear glaze. top and inside Alabama rain. mins version on some also cracked. lower third a black satin matte. . where are you seeing crazing hulk? I'll study them again.
  3. I would never expect an overlap to not show. I think what you have there is a rare occurrence.
  4. The top glaze has .48 Boron and likely melts at cone 04 (lowfire) so it probably levels out a bunch assuming fired to cone 6. The bottom glaze has virtually no boron and has gloss chemistry so likely it is matte because it is not fully melted to get the matte look. A wild guess is the VC turns glossy fired to its correct melting temperature. Not being fully melted would be a reason that the overlap would likely show up.
  5. Today
  6. Just put a cart under the chute/slide or end it onto a table at waist height i have to load my clay into my truck at the warehouse, then unload it at home, and into my house. Then to use it I have to unload it from the house and into my shed. It moves around a lot and I must be weak because it never gets easier.
  7. Very good point! I do have an old coal chute/ door that leads into my studio, as it used to be the coal room for my house. I would say that I could just throw it through that way, but that's where my exhaust is vented through.
  8. Yes, wait for the cones, maybe the kilnsitter cone broke.
  9. More info: it's been firing for about 8 hours.
  10. Bisquing at 04. Kiln sitter switched off. Witness cone still erect. Low fire on slow setting. Small kiln not filled. Should i manually continue to fire until witness cone bends? TIA. Jane
  11. I regularly use 2 base glazes shown below -- one a gloss (Fat Cream) and the other a matte (Val Cushing VC 71 Matte Base). If I have a large piece and have to dip with an overlap using the Fat Cream -- no problem. The overlapped double dipped line disappears in the firing. But if I try the same thing with the VC Matte, I get a distinct line on the finished piece where the 2 dips overlapped. One melts away in the fire. The other wont. Can anyone help me understand why this happens and how the VC Matte recipe might be adjusted to make the overlap disappear? Neph Sy 45 Gerstly Borate 25 Silica 20 Ball Clay 10 Zircopax 8 Rutile 1 VC Matte Custer Feldspar 40 Silica 16 Whiting 16 EPK 10 Frit 3124 9 Talc 9
  12. Yes thats why I do not have the 10 tons dropped off on my road. Its far easier to pull the boxes off my 4X4 high pickup tailgate inside my clay shed than stooping over low pallets on the road and having to walk the boxes. You learn fast when you move clay-on how to move clay the least amount.
  13. If you want to drive down to Seattle I know where you can pick up an old RK-2 for less lol. It's a little dirty but if your lower offer doesn't pan out, maybe take a weekend and visit the outlet malls and load up on Costco milk and pick up a functional rk-2 with splash pan. Might even consider sponging it down!
  14. I’ve considered this idea too, but the hard part is not walking down the stairs with a 50# box. The hard part is lifting the 50# box off the ground. Once I am standing upright again with the box, walking down the stairs is easy. So a slide does not eliminate the hard part. And if the slide deposits the boxes on the ground at the bottom, you have to pick it up off the ground twice. This is another reason why I stopped having my clay delivered. Delivered clay lands on my driveway on a pallet. It is much more effort to pick up a 50# box from a pallet, compared to picking it up from the deck of a minivan. It’s surprising how much easier when you don’t have to bend down as far.
  15. As a person of Korean heritage, I wholeheartedly endorse every word of the blog post. I also get raging mad when people use the term “wasi sabi” to describe something that is simply a poorly made pot. This is the heart of the matter for me. Asian cultures involve a culturally required politeness. We are programmed not to confront, or to express our offense. In my life, I've met many non-Asians who misinterpret this as approval, and somehow manage to extend the misinterpretation as “lower standards,” and take advantage of it, I appreciate her mention of Euan Craig as an example of someone who would never call his work “wabi sabi.” I don’t think she’s being vitriolic at all. She is offended, and expressing it with reasoned and tempered words. Maybe if more Asian people would stop holding their tongues, and express their offense, it wouldn’t seem vitriolic.
  16. Guess I found wrong info somewhere. I have notified seller I will purchase the kiln. Still sounds like a good solution to my situation. best, Pres
  17. You can't replace the regular element with quad elements. It requires different bricks.
  18. I'm very much still in the figurin' phase on closed/tubular spouts and, particularly, open/pitcher type spouts - read somewhere an article that mentions Peterson and Casson ...aha! Hesselberth's, here https://www.claytimes.com/articles/spouts.html
  19. So replacement quad elements run about $88, and if firing 15-20 times a year to ^6, possibly cost effective considering base price we are looking at. pay now or pay later. best, Pres
  20. Good reading, Maki's blog, thanks. Perhaps slightly related, production management's (ultra western/US) take on The Toyota Way during my years in the steel mill; 'bout the only takeaway I heard was "just in time" notion, where capital isn't tied up in inventory that isn't moving. Some reading led me to believe there's more to it, way. What resonated for me was the simple idea of sit in this chair all day; at end of day, what did you see?
  21. My co-op studio is desperately seeking a glaze recipe for one of our favorites called "My Blue" that we had previously ordered through Glazemixer. It is a cone 6 oxidation glaze that is a beautiful opaque light blue that breaks dark brown over texture. If you or anyone you know is aware of this recipe, we would be ecstatic to be able to get more!
  22. I get bubbles in my glazes that have lithium, wonder if it's processed with soap too?
  23. 30 or so is not accurate in my experience. My customers get 75 or so. There are a lot of these 10 cubic foot kilns out there, being used for cone 6, and people aren't complaining about only getting 30 firings. I'm not sure where they came up with that number. The Skutt KM1227 is the same. Definitely fewer firings than a cone 10 kiln, though.
  24. I just had a name stamp made up from a 3-D printer. I chose a thin lined font but it just doesn't have a sharp enough edge to leave a crisp thin line on leatherhard pots. I've an older smaller stamp made by Jet Stamps which works terrifically, nice sharp edge even after stamping thousands of pots. If you could 3D print a stamp with a sharp edge that would be something I think there would be a market for.
  25. Mea, My studio, is also in my basement, which looks similar to your basement design, based on the photos you've posted before. I have seriously considered creating a "slide" of sorts, to just slide the boxes, down the stairs. The same thought occurs to me, when I have to carry the 40# water softner salt bags, down the same stairs...
  26. @tbaa, any chance your glaze has spodumene in it? Spodumene often comes with soap residue from the processing of the material. If there is spodumene in the glaze then I would suggest washing it before using it. Going forward, weigh out the amount you need for the recipe and then add a lot of hot water to it and give it a thorough stir. Pour off the water and repeat but this time let it sit for a few hours before pouring off the water. This gets rid of most of the frothy bubbles. Spodumene is very slightly soluble so don't leave it sit around in the washing water for days and days.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.