All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks for posting the video on Electric Kiln Maintenance. (Having put the words in her, I'm hoping a search will find this post in future!?!
  3. Try thinning that lip out, you want a sharp edge there to cut the flow so it doesn't dribble. On the next one try giving it a throat, see how on Neil's pitcher there is room for a swell of liquid on the approach to the lip. It could also be wider at the throat on the next one. You could make a practice pitcher, make the same shape cylinder then instead of putting a handle on it pull 4 spouts going around the edge then see which design pours the best.
  4. Thanks so much, Arnold. I have to be honest, I saw a Paragon Dragon on Craigslist for $1000 and I almost went for it. But a 75 amp breaker with 4 gauge wire.... gasp! It’s too much for what I need. But what a kiln. And for anyone who may come across this post in the future, here is a great, great video I found that teaches you all about maintaining your kiln, along with how electricity works lol. I needed to learn both of those things. Thanks again.
  5. Third try, I'll see how it pours when it's done, lol
  6. Moving on from glazing bisque to finishing the edges/surfaces of greenware. When I do this I pretend I have no eyesight so I can feel my pieces; if they feel satisfying, they get to live; if I am not enchanted or intrigued when holding them, they gotta go. (Oh good grief--I have a cultural appropriation (incorrectly called a waving lucky cat -Google "maneki-neko") on my workbench!! And there it will stay.)
  7. I want to say something about language. It is essentially ingrained & inherited from how and where and with whom we grew up and hung out with. When someone like me (old school NY street life) says things like "look, pal", or a southern waitress calls me "sweetie or dearie", we are not name-calling. It is just habitual expressiveness that has not been willfully changed. I used to say "F- this and F-that, you M'rFk'r (which is now more commonly expressed as mofo--go figure!) repeatedly, every sentence, non-stop. And I could not stop--had no reason to, and then when I did have a reason to, it was rough. I had to be taught how to change my world view, my stance in the world, and my mouth. I had to--painfully, I might add--practice, practice, practice, literally for years until I could speak like a decent mainstream person in a variety of settings and communities. Most of us have a working brain-it is not about having the smarts, even tho using certain language can make one look stupid, or aggressive, etc.. The waitress saying "Can I get you more coffee sweetie" and me saying "Look, sister, I'm not your sweetie" are really the same thing. Except it sets us worlds apart (like different cultures around the globe) , and maybe at odds with each other, as I think she's of low intelligence and she thinks I'm a biker's broad. So with all due respect to everyone---I see nothing in this thread that is less than civil. I hope that as group members, we are not being required by moderators to become hyper-vigilent and super-sensitive about what we say or how we say it (or how Lee writes stuff-which is quite hard to reign in from my natural style-seriously). I hope there is some reasonable wiggle-room, so we can be "who we are". If someone is offended, I trust they can speak up for themselves and with private messaging, we can usually work it out. If it is perceived as offensive and ongoing, we can report it to a moderator and they can handle it politely and privately. When it can't be worked out, either the offender or the offended will leave the group. Isn't it partly how things were said (and badly misinterpreted, in my opinion) that provoked the loss of some great foundational members/mentors/experts not all that long ago? Compassion & respect are as perceived, as delivered and as received; they not always clear absolutes that are identifiable by all as such, on both the delivering and receiving ends. Lee's rant of the day-or, to put it in a more paletable form, just some food for thought.
  8. I think you will enjoy your Skutt 181. That's an interesting old kiln. One can learn a lot from firing a manual kiln. Your 181 might not need new elements. Check the elements with an ohmmeter. If they're okay, shrink them back into the grooves. Here is a video that shows how: Sincerely, Arnold Howard Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
  9. Today
  10. Can you give more info on the Yellow Ash Glaze? Are you referring to a specific one from a book? Ash glazes can be matte and gloss. That's not unusual. They can also be durable, despite being matte. You'd have to test your particular glaze to know for sure. A good matte glaze can be just as durable as a gloss glaze.
  11. The other thing is that when I use clay that is a bit to dry but still bends and cracks later the crack appears where yours are cracked. In the middle area .
  12. Where's ma test tile to look at! Don't leave us hanging
  13. Folks,as Callie has said This entire conversation at its heart is meant to be about showing each other compassion and respect. When I posted this my best intention was to open up a discussion about diversity of culture within the arts. In a mature society, where images, sounds, speech, and feelings are often identified by cultural differences, I would hope that those of us within the arts can have shared feelings and empathy for those that are different from us and yet have much to contribute. I would hope with so much chaos in the world that we can find a common ground and get along. Please keep this civil, and be aware of using your own cultural expressions to explain, not hurt. Language can cut as easy as a sword, but often the damage is not as sudden as the sword, but lasts along time. best, Pres
  14. I used the Yellow Ash Glaze on 6 or 8 pieces in the last firing. The big bonus points are for the Magma product. That stuff really does the trick. The YAG, not so much. First impression is that the yellow is too light, it reads as some variation of white. I used in thin and thick, never got a real yellow. Strangely, although mostly a gloss surface, there are occasional patches of mat. I don't like gloss finishes at all for my work and the patches of mat would make it unreliable for kitchen ware. Does anyone use this glaze in their go to palette? I've never seen the Heino Yellow in person, but from the pictures I've seen, it's pretty close to what I'd like to find in a reduction cone 10 glaze. There are a couple of others in the John Britt glaze book to try. As suggested in Britt's book, it's is interesting over shinos, especially Davis.
  15. Kiln was sold probably before posted here. So I didn't get it! Dang!

16. The explanation for that type of handle crack from Hamer's Potters Dictionary of Materials and Techniques is either the clay had become too weak from overworking the handle or the handle was too thin for the type of clay used. Doesn't look like they are too thin so perhaps tired old clay? What about the bowls that cracked? Are you putting that down to dunting?
  17. Just rub over any bubbles that remain on the surface of the glazed pot with your finger when the glaze is dry. They probably wouldn't be an issue but it's safer to rub them out rather than chance it until you've fired and seen the results either way. @liambesaw, I would imagine the extra processing that is used to produce lithium carb would clean up the detergent/soap residue. I believe there is a roasting process used in one method that should burn off the soap but perhaps there is another way of refining the product that doesn't do this, dunno. I just tried mixing a bit of lithium carb plus water and no bubbles.
  18. tim, can you post a series of photos of the entire wheel? they can be a little different from each other but the basic principles of their operation is pretty standard. from every angle and any part you have questions about.
  19. Both kilns appear to be in very good condition. The elements in the lower-priced kiln look new, and the bricks are perfect. If you add a digital controller to either kiln, keep the Dawson Kiln Sitter. You can use it as a safety shut off. Not only will you have a cone-based shut off, but also a timer. This would give you three systems for automatically shutting off the kiln: 1) the digital controller; 2) the Kiln Sitter; and 3) the Kiln Sitter Limit Timer. The lower priced kiln is fascinating because it is so different from any kiln made in America. This is because kilns evolved in Europe much differently than they did over here. The bricks are mounted vertically instead of horizontally, and they are backed by a layer of ceramic fiber blanket. the lid hinge is interesting. I agree with "OldLady" that you should get a better kiln stand. The kiln manufacturers all recommend staying with a kiln during operation. This is not constantly staying with the kiln, but checking on it occasionally. You can't stay with it all the time. That would be impractical. But it is prudent to be aware of it while it is firing. This applies equally to manual and digital kilns. I just finished writing instruction manuals for Paragon's new digital controllers. I can hear our printing press in the background, on the other side of my office wall, as I type this note. At the bottom of every left page of the manuals is the safety rule, "Do not leave your kiln unattended during operation." At the bottom of every right page is another rule, "Keep the kiln lid or door closed when the kiln is not in use." Sincerely, Arnold Howard Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
  20. Just a gentle reminder folks: This entire conversation at its heart is meant to be about showing each other compassion and respect. No name calling, and remember this is all in the service of learning . If someone who knows better tells you you’re doing it wrong, it’s worth listening to them if you want to expand yourself. Admitting you’re doing something wrong or hurting someone inadvertently is uncomfortable, but necessary for healing and growth.
  21. welcome to the forums! congratulations on the gift of a kiln. now to find out more about it so you can use it wisely. your photo is very informative but a few more photos of the critical parts would help. there are many kiln manufacturers who do just a tiny thing differently from most others. stand back and get one of the whole thing. then take a photo of the interior and a close up of the elements so we can judge the condition of them in place. also, any switches, knobs or other things. neil is our kiln professional but so many others know a great deal, someone will be able to help. does it have a kiln sitter attached to the side?
  22. I was recently given an electric Eubanks kiln by someone that never used it. It did not come with a manual. I have looked online and the only info I can find about Eubanks is an independent business in Missouri without a website or email. Does anyone know anything about these kilns? This is my first kiln. Could I follow basic instructions from any kiln?
  23. I think she just liked to experiment with different looks. The hoarding was sad but Alex Archbold did a lot to save her work and re-introduce her to the art world. He met with Mary a number of times and was planning to bring her to see her home once it was all restored but she died just before her visit. Her final wish was to be taken to the cemetery in Alex's Ghostbusters ambulance. Much of Mary's work was inspired by the work of indiginous people. She dug her own clay and open-fired her pots in her backyard makeshift kiln. She also did extensive work with natural glazes.
  24. You understood me just fine. But it’s not just silence/restraint, it’s also the politeness and a desire to not insult. And I’m not your sister.
  25. 'Takers' might be a better term. I didn't necessarily want to pick on the west. I'm not sure what a more accurate umbrella term would be. Capitalism? "Elements of capitalist culture include the mindset of business and corporate culture, consumerism and working class culture. " This qotw for me, brings up a lot more than just cultural appropriation. By choosing a term 'taker' I'm referencing Ishmael. It's been a few years since I read the book but there is no denying that something is wrong with our society and we need to start listening to people like Greta Thunberg who imo deserves a nobel prize for standing up for the planet. I try everyday to be kind to people too - I also try to have patience with people. It's a thing I'm working on.
  26. i'll attach them loosely next time..less disastrous outcome maybe
  27. An interesting failure and fits the visual that the handles and cup body were a significant mismatch in shrinkage. Still very sturdy attachments!
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.