All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. It is a fine grog and yes, it's visible in the fired clay. This is from Standard's website about 710: "Gives a reduction-like dark brown color in an electric kiln. Smooth and plastic. Contains manganese and a small amount of fine grog is added. It's good for all techniques. We recommend firing to cone 5." Here is a bowl I did with 710 leaving the rim and foot unglazed (KY Mudworks Everglade glaze and Amaco Temmoku for the stripe)
  4. I do a lot of dry wood ash plus directly on wet glaze. One reason to do it this way is you can add all kinds of goodness to the wood ash mix. Cullet (ground glass), colorants, iron filings. Once you get the feel for it, you can direct and maximize the ash effects.
  5. I think in pottery color is more of a trademark of the potter than any sort of trendline. I mean how often do you see a Potter switch schemes? Not often! Usually you see someone find their niche and stick to it. The upside is that the earthy colors of ceramics and glazes usually go with almost any home color scheme. Blues, whites, browns, iron reds, black, they all can go pretty much anywhere. I don't think having a large variety of color will do anything to increase sales, if anything it looks disjointed and chaotic in a display. I think most people like seeing multiples of a single theme, especially on display. It looks professional and "put together".
  6. You can also hit the public library, not sure about your librarian but mine loves hunting down weird stuff like this.
  7. Home decor moves a lot shower on color trends than fashion. And in a lot of color forecasts, never moves at all. Home decor follows color movements as opposed to those Pantone color forecasts. These 2 colors are 4th & 5th in my sales, with red being 6th. I'll do a few color "bursts along, but limit it to like 15 to 20 pieces. yellows, oranges, turquoise - I never saw yellow even make it to accessories. Orange only slightly. I've seen them try to bring back turquoise at least 20 times but never saw it push higher than: Buying ratios: Black 20/Brown20/Turquoise 4. Orange was like a 1. Pink usually a 2 but during 90's I did see a time when pink was the new black, outselling black and even more ever so slightly into home decor. I did see Brown become the new black for a few season Brown 25/Black 20. I love the 2nd one and did it in response to a "gray kitchen" trend I saw a year or 2 ago. But can't say it's a great seller.
  8. The fit your name as well, dirt roads aesthetic Need to add some crushed feldspar to really complete it
  9. @Min - extremely helpful video. That thick bucket he has at the end of the video is what I'm trying for. What I tried to do was just create a small amount - about 8 oz - in a cup to see the result. I was using my hand to do the mixing and that might be part of the problem. That stick blender would work but don't have one available right now. But will try again and let you know results. Thanks again for the help! - Jeff
  10. Search for pottery within the archeology discipline. "Pottery Analysis" by Prudence M. Rice (University Chicago Press. 2015) might be a good starting point. LT
  11. I'm trying to keep the water down to a minimum or not at all. But this is a possibility! Thanks! - Jeff
  12. "Embrace your inner farm house" is what I should call this collection. This is the most popular of my 6 colors by a landslide. I do 4 "versions" of this. This is a 6 figure seller.
  13. No. Developing glaze colors takes way too long to follow the annual trends. Make work that you believe in, not what’s trendy. That’s what sells. People who buy handmade pottery are not the same people who follow annual fashion trends. I endorse the idea of getting rid of the “hodge podge” of glazes and sticking to one or two glazing schemes. Pick the ones you believe in the most.
  14. Each figurine on it's own little stand. Don't crowd them. Less is more. Black stands and black background, as they all appear to be quite light in colour. All those shown are looking up. You need something for them to be looking up at. Or make some that are looking down, and have them higher. Can't help with actual materials (felt glued to the structure ?) or making the stands.
  15. @JeffK, how did you mix the powdered clay in? An immersion (stick) blender works well if you have one of those. If the powdered clay contained chunks then it's going to need to sit for a few hours. Maybe a video would help show the process.
  16. for something this specific, i would contact a museum in an area where pottery was made during those years and ask what they use for research.
  17. When I make slip, I've found that covering the crushed, dry clay with water, then leaving it untouched for several hours is the best way for it to absorb (slake down). The more water, the better. That doesn't help you, but I'd try adding it to the existing slip and walk away. Don't stir, touch, poke. Don't even look at it. Just let it do it's thing, leave it alone overnight. Then see what happens.
  18. When I wood-fired with my students, of course we always hoped that the kiln would direct some fly ash onto our pots, but also knew it wasn’t under our control. For some pots, we would sprinkle some ash on in advance as “insurance.”
  19. Hi All, I was searching for the most popular glaze colors for 2019 (or trends) - I have done some shows, but my setup looked more like 1000 pieces of misc. pottery. I want to go back to a more "solid" look, and maybe have 3 sections (or 2) with only a combination glaze mix and/or solid color glaze (no layering) so my booth doesn't look so "Hodge Podge" I looked at the other newer post on the users first pottery show and how to display, but my question(s) are: 1) I was looking at coming color trends for 2019; they are gearing towards yellows, oranges, turquoise....does anyone apply those trends to pottery and decorations? These were general color trends and also included fashion trends 2) Given the two markets I am starting to make more work for are towards the holidays, what "colors" do you suggest? I don't want to gear my items towards Thanksgiving or Christmas (I don't want to end up taking a bunch of things home that are all holiday themes) - but what colors/color combinations are best around the holidays? Or does it matter? Thank you in advance for suggestions - I want to make my Holiday markets more profitable
  20. So in the studio the other day, I crushed up some unfired greenware and turned it into powder. I then took about a half cup of deflocculated slip and started adding powdered clay to it. Mixed it as best as I could but ended up with a watery lumpy mess. Just for the heck of it, I flocculated the slip with some epsom salts and tried adding the powdered clay to that. Same lumpy result. Could be that I need to find a better way to mix the powdered clay in but I wonder if this is becoming far too labor intensive - maybe there's another way to achieve that "plaster" type consistency. Might try the last suggestion at letting some water evaporate out of the flocculated slip. Ah well - back to the pottery lab.... - Jeff
  21. There are two samples I sent to Mark that not only both fizzed with vinegar but also feel slippery. Calcium carbonate and ground talc are VERY close in weight. I can at least rule out the heavier or lighter materials by weight. I might just have to send him both and he will have to test. I don't have any old recipes that will only work with the old talc. Soapstone talc however is very different in weight from calcium carbonate. I encourage you to go to the site and look for yourself. For example a cup of talc is 1.41 pounds whereas dolomite is 0.91 pounds. That is enough of a difference to rule out the lighter material. Silica is 1.21 pounds per cup....again...enough of a difference to rule it out as talc. If Mark....who works with these chemicals every day couldn't figure out the "greasy one", I sure can't.
  22. I could see thin, matte or satin finish, risers made of metal, black and/or white, ehancing the overall visual while accentuating your pieces. Not an industrial vibe, more of a designer look.
  23. I've started trying these out but I am unfamiliar with using them so I want to make sure I am making them proper. Any thoughts or advice appreciated, especially that may relate to... Glazed or unglazed moat? Would any food safe glaze be fine?
  24. Unfortunately it's not that easy and volume of any powder will not be a normalized weight. Talc is the easiest powder to identify though, as many here have said it is the only slippery powder. It actually feels like lubrication on your hands.
  25. Grog will bump up the peak temp. Is it a coarse grog or fine? I could see 266 being really nice with fine grog. Also, is the grog visible in the fired clay?
  26. Look what I found!!!! https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-to-weight This gives the weight of common minerals in all kinds of units of measurement! So....I will be able to determine if any of those materials is the talc Mark needs! One US cup of talc weighs 1.40828701 pound. Calcium carbonate is 1.41402447. So, it's going to be close. Since I had two fizzers...I am pretty sure there is one of each. I have no idea what I did to cause this blue. He must have mis-recalled the name. Whatever it is I have has no grog. Maybe the white stoneware with grog I am throwing is the Oregon White. That description is exactly what it is. All I know is that it came from Clay Art Center and was milled in 5/18 and is really hard. I have had to cut it up and soften it. Clay Art Center has "raku " on it....used at 04 for raku, still open at 6 and vitrifies at 10. I went out this evening and did something I understand....I put kiln wash on my shelves....even that has changed! Thanks again Min. You're swell!
  27. No its not showing here either only this? in a blue square
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.