All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Absolute Keto : On the opposite hand, by eating food dense in nutrition and low in calories, you won't be as hungry, you provide your body the vitamins and minerals it needs and you have the energy to walk past the table in the center of the afternoon. And finding these foods isn't as troublesome as you would possibly believe. Did you know you'll be able to eat as a lot of raw fruits and vegetables as you would like while not fear of gaining weight?Remember to rest too! Many folks are busy from the time we get up till the instant we have a tendency to head to bed. Generally finding the time to eat or exercise will be a challenge. But cutting short on sleep can only sabotage your efforts to lose weight. Visit Us : https://www.nutrifitweb.com/absolute-keto/
  3. I'm talking about incising clay. Ordinary rubber stamps work OK for putting colour on.
  4. hairspray will do it, a Min or Pugaboo tip. local....nearest store thought I aas gonna have neat hair for once.....
  5. I use a torch to pop them, just because I always have one around. I wouldn't use vinegar, it can change the chemistry of your glaze (flocc/deflocc as well as being able to dissolve some things into solution)
  6. My new batch of glaze has a lot of bubbles - Just on the surface. I've stirred it over a few days, but they are still there. Very evident when I dip test tiles. I had this issue before, and found a suggestion to spray a mixture of alcohol and water on the surface. Or could it be vinegar and water? ?? In either case I cant remember the proportions. Any ideas to solve this problem? Many thanks.
  7. Looks like a Cone 8 kiln on single phase 240v. Neil would probably have an opinion.
  8. Nice approach to things. My greatest learning comes from failure if I let my brain slow down enough to think through it and not be too distraught. Sometimes takes a day or two or three though.
  9. well I may learn something when I fire the 2 remaining mugs made in the same way. Benzine I have had handles crack and pul away from mug body when handle has dried too fast, even waxed and wrapped handles in ceram wrap in hot weather. nothing like that in this batch. Scratching my head on this one. Can't even sue power co. Outage due to lightning storm. in fact my heart dropped on reading the Fail message. Thought I may have cooked the power box of kiln..so that is part of my placid acceptance of these mugs. Though not much u can do.. Ha Do you think Spooze will do the trick???:-)) .Drill out. succulents in I guess..
  10. Don't get me wrong, I see 36 mugs and a vase in terms of time and effort spent, but what can I do about it? Well, next time I'm not gonna use that schedule, that's for sure! All I can do is learn and move on. Yes there is a certain arrogance in wanting the things you make to be perfect. The things you make are a reflection of you, so they should be important. Nothing wrong with that, but at the same time there's nothing that can be done. Shikata ga nai my wife would tell me, or c'est la vie, or it is what it is. My 5 year old would be quick to tell me "you git what you git and you don't throw a fit". Anyway, back to the drawing board for me and Babs, let's see if we can't make our next firing our best.
  11. I admire how pragmatic so many of you are when a clay-tragedy strikes. If I get a crappy outcome, I am half heart broken. If I drop a bin and shatter some of my best stuff, I want to crawl in a hole and have a pity party. The only thing that has helped was that I was taught---on a very philosophical/zen-ish level, by an artist I respected---that I should never robe myself with the arrogance of thinking that my stuff is "precious". That sticks with me just enough to take some of the sting out when things go awry.
  12. tons of other things go with it. it is not mine, i will forward an email from the owner if someone is serious about this great kiln. PM me.
  13. My kiln load was a bust, total dookie, not a single piece looking good. I thought the longer bisque might eliminate some issues with this glaze I am using, but instead it just over fired. I knew when I was glazing it was going on pretty thin, and it was. Gross thin zinc glazes yuck. I'll try reglazing but I have some pretty low hopes. They can't all be winners, right?
  14. Teapots definitely more involved. Suggested viewing for some more insight and general pleasure: smarter everyday - laminar flow. (You tube) free education and super high speed camera. Sometimes seeing is great for analysis.
  15. Funny you should mention this article, I just read it recently and it prompted me to post this query.
  16. I truly have not come to terms with this in my head except to say the handle shrunk significantly more than the body and exceeded the tensile strength of the clay pulling itself apart. Everything is so sturdy and well done that it is an interesting failure.
  17. I had a handle crack like that, but only when I tried to dry it to quickly, to get it in a kiln load, not during a firing.
  18. I am sympathetic towards her point of view but too vitriolic for me. Often for those that truly know something they become offended at those that do not. Maybe mandatory minimum IQ is the solution. There are a bunch of reasons to hate and far fewer to like especially in a hyper charged creative environment. In twenty years of teaching I noticed three distinct personalities. One was that of making money (Ho hum) one was that of superiority and being all knowing (Ok I guess) and one was that of teaching and enjoying the natural expansion and progression of students knowledge beyond your own. Not scientific but the first two types were often negative and hated something daily. The third seemed happy to learn, happy for others new knowledge and generally happy to see humanity progress. I sympathize with her point, but only see it as an opportunity for her to educate others. I am half Polish half Italian, maybe I should tell her how incorrect many folks are about my heritage. Just sayin, I think I prefer to meet, greet and as Liam says sit back and enjoy while I can. My wife and I Met a group of strangers from Cameroon two days ago. They spoke little English, no French and no Polish ..........Great Fun, interesting culture, memorable thirty minutes of my day, learned a bunch and took lots of pictures all smiles and well wishes! the experience - free for all, monetarily profiting from the experience ........... not in my wheelhouse.
  19. It's hard for English speakers to interpret concepts that have a name. There's nothing special about words here as a concept so it can be hard for us to understand the big deal about using a word (or phrase). And someone Japanese probably has the same difficulty understanding why westerners are so careless with the words they use. Lost in translation is a great phrase because there are concepts that are hard to explain with words, and feelings and whatnot. Japanese is really cool, they have stuff like onomatopoeia for textures and feelings and stuff, it's way beyond comprehension for me, I just try to sit back and enjoy. My wife is Japanese and I get to hear about the misuse of words a lot, she kind of understands now and can see it from the western side, our words don't carry the same brevity and we use them like they're free. I liked her article, but I think she could have done a better job of explaining why it makes her so angry.
  20. https://makikohastings.blogspot.com/2019/05/naming-does-matter-my-thought-on.html?m=1 I’ve come across about 5 references to this blog post today, despite spending a total of 20 minutes on social media. So after finally reading it, I feel very strongly it belongs in this conversation right here. It’s written by a Japanese artist who has spent half her adult life in the UK, and tells of her frustrations in watching words and concepts that are deeply held and respected within the Japanese culture used and abused by many from the west in order to sell things. She speaks about wanting to encourage those who are curious about and inspired by her (and other) cultures to investigate them, and learn. Learn so you actually DO honour what you are learning to love, and so that you don’t accidentally insult it. Most importantly, she has a reference for westerners that she recommends on the topic of Wabi Sabi, which is a term frequently misused and abused by potters who have an incomplete and often wrong. understanding of the concept.
  21. How THIN can you make the clay when you are planning to fire it? I have a pretty nice mask that I am planning to give a relative for his birthday but am fearful that I may have made some of hte clay too thin. Can anyone give me an idea? Thank you!
  22. Yesterday
  23. Pourable epoxy works wonders for the interior. Vases, not food grade stuff though.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.