All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. --- Gep quote Didn't want to hi jack the other thread, but this is really on my mind. I'm at that point. Currently I have 3 full time employees. One in jewelry, the other 2 pottery. Here's what I think ... for every person in pottery production, you need 1 kiln. Every person can yield about $75K a year in pottery. That's what I'm seeing. Does anyone have different numbers?
  3. Today
  4. I have a corded Milwaukee 7 inch and do not use it on kiln wash-I use a corded Mikita 4 inch -I also have the 18v cordless Mikita 4 inch but do not trash it on wash grinding. I think a cheapy grinder for shelves is best-the harbor frieght is a good option. Wash will kill it over time
  5. I appreciate the feedback. I don’t have an air setup so corded or battery are my current options. I see some of the corded models have a paddle switch that can be locked on so maybe that’s a happy medium?The corded Ryobi grinder I’ve been using for the last 10 years was purchased for probably $60. I don’t mind spending a bit extra for a better quality/safer product but the cordless Milwaukee is probably excessive given my only use for a grinder is kiln shelf maintenance. I’m only considering it because I already have tools using that battery platform and I can get one with a battery for $179 at the big orange box. The battery alone retails for $129 so the tool would essentially be $50. But the special is only offered on the paddle switch version, not the slide lock.
  6. Harbor freight disposable angle grinder for shelves. As Neil said, the dust absolutely makes short work of the bearings, switches and motor. At 15 dollars you can buy a new one every year and still be ahead over the cost of a nice one. Look, on sale for 12 bucks and there's a 20% off coupon too lol. https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-Amp-Angle-Grinder-69645.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjc1MTE5MjYiLCJza3UiOiI2OTY0NSIsImlzIjoiMTEuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiOTA0OCJ9
  7. In my experience, air powered grinders will outlast any battery powered or corded grinder. The dust kills them. If you don't have an air setup, I wouldn't invest in anything as nice as a Milwaukee. Just get the cheapest corded model you can find. Get the locking switch. Holding a switch while working is super annoying.
  8. It's time to replace my angle grinder and I'm torn between sticking with slide-style on/off switch that locks the grinder on, or switching to the paddle-style. I have always used grinders with the locking slide switches, but the increased safety of the paddle switch seems a good thing to invest in. However I'm concerned that keeping the paddle engaged could be tiresome and uncomfortable when grinding a stack of shelves (sometimes 30+ in a session). What grinder do you use? Anyone have a paddle-style and love it? Hate it? Anyone made the switch from slide to paddle? Drilling down one more level into specifics: I have several Milwaukee M18 Fuel tools and if I go cordless for the new grinder it would be with one of the M18 brushless grinders so that I can use the same battery platform I already have for drills, drivers, etc. If anyone has experience with these particular grinders I'd appreciate your review of the tool for grinding kiln shelves. How long will a 5.0 battery last when grinding glaze spots and kiln wash?
  9. The company still exists, perhaps you could call them or visit and ask for an operating manual or directions?
  10. Hi. Got a new/old kiln and wondered if anyone had experience. It's a potterycrafts kiln. Old. The temperature control has a simple red digital number display. A set button to hold down while turning a small screw to set temp. But the other button gives an option of 'limit' or 'stat'. I had assumed 'limit' would turn it off at temp when reached but it appears 'stat' does. Does anyone know what they stand for? Or do? Thank you.
  11. Thanks for the clarification, Min. My experience with was bringing electronic equipment into Canada for testing TV broadcast antennae which the company I worked for back in the early 70s built, installed and tested. I had spent a week in London, Ontario, waiting for the equipment to go through a customs broker. In the meanwhile, I was talking with one of the riggers who owned a Corvette that he said he had to pay a 50% import duty on to get it into Canada...but that was long before NAFTA
  12. If the wheel is manufactured in the US then under Nafta there are no duties but what get's us on this side of the border is the exchange rate. The pottery supply place in BC doesn't sell Skutt wheels so just to compare prices I looked at the Shimpo VL Whisper. In CAD dollars and bought in Canada my local place sells it for $2039, I found it online in the US for $1199, with free shipping, so with todays exchange rate that comes in at $1578 (actual exchange rate is going to be higher if it's put on a credit card). If it's for personal use then when you bring it across the line you pay provincial and federal sales tax on it the same as if you bought it in Canada and that's it. If it's for a business then it's a royal pain doing all the paperwork and sorting out what provincial or federal tax might need to be paid. There is also the cost of what the parcel pickup place charges for receiving the shipment but that's usually pretty reasonable. Where it does get tricky is if the wheel isn't made in the US or isn't one of Canada's "preferred" trading partners, then there can be tariffs.
  13. I love my Skutt, I even have the cheapest one and it's amazing.
  14. The Skutt is belt drive. The motor is very large for its HP rating, so it runs cooler. Their controller is also really good, with 6 different adjustable settings so you can really dial it in for your throwing style. The Whisper is direct drive, no gearing, so that limits the torque a lot. There used to be a wheel on the market, the Max Wheel, that was gear driven, not belt, and it had a craploads of power. It felt very weird, though, not at all like a belt drive.
  15. Just found a wheel for a decent price but a road trip and ferry to get to it. Anyone know what model it would be so I can look up the specs and dive system.
  16. That is a big motor on the Skutt. I like big motors. I'm wondering what the drive mechanism is? Probably a V belt? Besides the motor quality, the gearing will have a lot to do with the torque. There's a limit to how small a drive pulley can be with different belts. The only other issue I've had with my Pacifica was the main bearing. Don't know why manufacturers would cut that corner. If I can get to add a second wheel, I'll definitely consider the Skutt now.
  17. How about scales for a suit of armor for a stoneware warrior?
  18. Only if they are super thin, otherwise it's just "tink", which I guess is technically a ring, but underdeveloped.
  19. Tiny things ring high pitched, Maybe they are not fully baked?
  20. These are tiny, small as your pinky, not enough room for the waveform to develop, so no ring no matter what material.
  21. Skutt/TS wheels have the most torque- the power to keep rotating under load. It's not all about horsepower. The Skutt 1/3hp models will handle as much as a Brent 1hp. The Whisper wheels have some of the lowest torque ratings due to the type of motor they use. They work well for what most people make, but I would try one before hoping to put 25 pounds on it.
  22. Whatever you decide to get, it would be a good idea to find out what the customs duty or tariffs would be on anything you plan on bringing back. There may not be an advantage unless the price you pay is phenomenal...
  23. Be the most awesome parent in the world and get her a newish used kiln that is up to snuff for 2019. It will serve her well over the years and while deep discounts are great, old crappy stuff is not. People can make do with a lot of used equipment and supplies, but, to my mind, a decent, preferably computerized, kiln of the right size is worth every penny. I have an L&L e-23S-3 in my small home studio and it is just terrific. It is a bit large for me, actually, so the 18 Easy Fire would have been perfect. The 3" brick is wonderful. If one take's the craft and the art of ceramics even half-seriously, outfitting a studio space to work in clay should feel good and be very functional. There's nothing better than your own kiln in your own space, and a decent wheel. Remember other things are needed as well-a vent system, nearby running water, a work table suitable for wedging, shelving for drying greenware, and space for storing clay & glazes. My studio is small, about 10x12, and fully stocked with many goodies; with good organization there is still room to move around-not much, but enough! If it doesn't work out, you will certainly be able to sell the equiptment and recoup some of your investment. The investment in her creativity, motivation, enjoyment, talent etc. is "priceless". Lee's 2-cents worth!
  24. Stoneware has plenty a nice ring for wind chimes. I have several on my back porch, bells too
  25. Hard to say from the picture, but the color leads me to think they're stoneware or even earthen ware. Porcelain has the nice ring for wind chimes.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.