All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. This might help. If you look at the comparison below Kingsman is similar to G200 (both potassium feldspars). It has nearly the same silica to alumina ratio is slightly higher in sodium, slightly lower in potassium and slightly lower in calcium. I’ll dismiss iron because they are nearly identical and as natural products this likely varies somewhat. The idea - look up G200 glazes on Glazy, substitute Kingsman and tweak your results if necessary. The other idea is I forward the spreadsheet to you (private message), it is free and now contains kingsman and you can fashion your own glazes. The backstory on the spreadsheet is it was created by Matt Katz (formerly of Alfred university) , it is free on his website (ceramic materials workshop). We added some research and minor programming to it and received his permission to redistribute. We use it in our basic glaze formulation videos and it is a bare bones worksheet that depends on stull (1910) which was rediscovered by the pottery community within the last say ten or so years. Stull is pretty easy to learn and indicates trends in glazes plus easy to understand boron addition to move the cone ten glazes down to cone 6. let me know, I can send you the sheet with Kingsman in it and a link or two to some simple videos Just an idea though if it helps.
  4. I wonder if that is uniform....some of these things are labeled as "not appropriate"...maybe because of composition. Went out today to try to make friends with this new clay body....making progress. Do you know anything about that cone 6 porcelain from Georgie's in Portland? They claim it vitrifies at 6. I finally had inspiration today.....but it involves porcelain.
  5. All of the things you use in your booth have the ability to subtly suggest the quality level of your pieces. I wouldn't use carpet to cover anything other than the floor. I'd stick to a fabric that doesn't wrinkle if you want to disguise the foam core, if that's the material you choose.
  6. If you're handy with basic woodworking tools, there are ways of making pedestals so they fold flat. Google it. It makes it a lot easier to transport them. Make them out of 3/8" thick plywood or MDF and they'll last forever.
  7. Elementary teachers tend to do cone 04 work because there has always been an abundance of premixed glazes available for low fire work. Those glazes are easy to use, and have more color options that younger kids like, like bright colors. Until recently, there weren't all that many good cone 6 glazes available. Elementary teachers can do cone 6 or even cone 10 work if they want to, as long as the materials are certified non-toxic and safe for kids to use. Cone 6 and 10 glazes can be certified non-toxic just like 04 glazes.
  8. Thank you, all for the advice. My concern with the foam core risers is damage, but I'm thinking I may cover them with fabric or carpet, something that will not fray when cut, but the idea of having them fold up is great ( I have a photo tent that is completely collapsible with velcro on each side & that is a great product) I'm wondering if I should make table fabric and risers black, but I'm guessing I will have to paint them first to see how it looks. Thank you GEP for the table layout advice, I will try that, shoot a photo and repost to see what you may think. I have read your blog posts on Art Fairs and find everything helpful and informative, including advice about not purchasing a tent right away. I hope to see you at a show sometime, as I am located in NJ and will hope to attend the CAA show in Baltimore.
  9. Yesterday
  10. So, anyone need me to post post pics of BT, or ya'all following along?
  11. Can you further describe the ball mill? I am interested in acquiring one. Dave Glenn. Daveglennceramics@gmail.com
  12. Now that is quite illuminating and useful. It certainly de-mystifies this quite a bit. I thank you! Since I was a production potter, I still have a considerable volume of my Kingman glazes as well as at least 30-40 pounds of Kingman. It would be nice to know how to adapt them to cone 6 as I am hearing the part about the energy savings. What I am not certain about is how they will perform in an oxidation atmosphere. We did very heavy reduction in those days stating at 010. Since many are iron based glazes, it is likely they will be duds in oxidation. The reason cone 04 is a thing is that it is a temperature that is approved for elementary teachers to use in the classroom. If you go to online stores that sell school supplies for teachers.....there are full of 04 clays, glazes, etc. They also contain some cone 6 stuff for high school teachers. Elementary teachers have to do 04. Sometimes you can get much better deals than on pottery sites....for example, I needed some pottery plaster to cast drying batts....I got 2 fifty pound bags for what one bag cost me from a pottery supply place with $5 shipping! There are at least three of these stores on eBay.
  13. Got to open the kiln last night, almost everything came out great, which is a blessing for sure. Started another glaze load last night and hope it's just as dope.
  14. I don't have any advice, just wanted to say I really enjoy your figures!
  15. Yes! They do. I need to do more work with his chickens on them. I was using chicken decals for a bit, then I realized his chickens are the best. I single fired 365 as well and had no issues, I know you single fire also, so I forgot to mention that. Let us know what you think when you end up with it. I honestly preferred it over little loafers, which is the clay I learned to throw with.
  16. Made some breakthroughs in my glaze work this week. Finally going to have some stability in the final product which is what I needed to move forward in production quantities for online, future shows and galleries!

17. that is darling! i have things my kids made over 50 years ago. they still make me smile. be sure to keep them all, they grow up fast.
  18. Thank you! I’ll keep you posted on how it does w a midfire white. Fingers crossed!
  19. I have for sale $20,000: All original designs created by Ann Townsend. All plaster molds Pump for dispensing slip. Mixer for preparing slip. 6 kilns Ball mixer All paints pigments and glazes. Finished product and art room samples. Shelving and art room tables. All rights to Townsend name and designs. Manuals. Recipes and other instructional items. 17 pallets (950, 50 lb bags of Nytal100 HR and 5 pallets of KT ball clay. Located in Bay St Louis, MS.
  20. I would add that flat fabric looks better than those wrinkles-change material to somethong that lays flat.
  21. You do not need to bisque fire it again. I've used it with mixed results. My glossy white glaze turned out rough and matte on bisque fix, but my matte grey glazed covered it perfectly. It definitely repairs cracks though!
  22. Nothing wrong with foam core risers! If you cut and construct them cleanly, they will work just fine. You want people to look at your work, and not notice the risers at all. Foam core will also be a lot lighter than wood. When you’ve been doing shows for a while, you start looking for ways to make things lighter. There will always be more than enough heavy lifting to do at shows. No matter what you choose to build your risers out of, design them so they pack flat! Since your items are small, I would suggest a booth layout that is more like a jeweler’s booth than a potter’s booth. Jewelers don’t need as much display space. They tend to put part of their display across the front of their booth, so passers-by will see the small work close up without needing to enter the booth.
  23. I think for Silica you could look at under a microscope(cheap one) and see the quartz particles relatively uniform in size to give you some confidence. Maybe even cell phone magnifier, need to try later today.
  24. Whiting has that fishy sea smell to me. Guess that's because it's made from sea shells. Dolomite and talc look similar to me. Silica, not sure, firing a sample of each will give some good data to guess from. Maybe do a sample by itself and a 50/50 mix with silica.
  25. So talc - feel, look and magnesium reagent only, dolomite - strong calcium and strong magnesium reagent (both react), whiting only calcium reagent, Bone ash - likely calcium reagent and volume mass. Sounds like you have it mostly figured.
  26. Last add: Cone ten is a thing because the earth melts at cone ten. Cone six is a thing because ...... nobody seems to know exactly, maybe one of the wars or energy but to get cone ten stuff to melt at cone six, boron is an easy to use glass former that helps everything melt. Under UMF (unity molecular formula, circa 1910) 0.15 Boron gets you cone six, 0.42 Boron gets you cone 04. Cone 04, no idea why that is a thing either! Many cone 6 and 04 glazes are simply cone ten with the proper amount of Boron added. Gerstley is mined, gillespie is produced. Many newer glaze recipes use Boron frit instead. Frits are manufactured materials, not directly mined and generally produce very consistent results but often less variegation than gerstley.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.