All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. 30 or so is not accurate in my experience. My customers get 75 or so. There are a lot of these 10 cubic foot kilns out there, being used for cone 6, and people aren't complaining about only getting 30 firings. I'm not sure where they came up with that number. The Skutt KM1227 is the same. Definitely fewer firings than a cone 10 kiln, though.
  3. I just had a name stamp made up from a 3-D printer. I chose a thin lined font but it just doesn't have a sharp enough edge to leave a crisp thin line on leatherhard pots. I've an older smaller stamp made by Jet Stamps which works terrifically, nice sharp edge even after stamping thousands of pots. If you could 3D print a stamp with a sharp edge that would be something I think there would be a market for.
  4. Mea, My studio, is also in my basement, which looks similar to your basement design, based on the photos you've posted before. I have seriously considered creating a "slide" of sorts, to just slide the boxes, down the stairs. The same thought occurs to me, when I have to carry the 40# water softner salt bags, down the same stairs...
  5. @tbaa, any chance your glaze has spodumene in it? Spodumene often comes with soap residue from the processing of the material. If there is spodumene in the glaze then I would suggest washing it before using it. Going forward, weigh out the amount you need for the recipe and then add a lot of hot water to it and give it a thorough stir. Pour off the water and repeat but this time let it sit for a few hours before pouring off the water. This gets rid of most of the frothy bubbles. Spodumene is very slightly soluble so don't leave it sit around in the washing water for days and days.
  6. Babs, izza clear glaze crazed? ...just curious; if so, is that also abnormal result?
  7. If you have a little hairspray bottle, a shot of rubbing alcohol does the trick neatly. I usually have some around to clean off my production list whiteboard.
  8. I'm so spoiled! My clay supplier Is here in town. Space constraints mean I currently buy clay 10x 20 kg (44 lbs) boxes boxes at a time, as I'm also packing everything down to the basement. I do get a price break at that point, and because I have a good relationship with the shop, they've done things for me like order materials at cost.
  9. Slumping is definitely a possibility, but it will depend a lot on the shape of the piece and the clay body you're using. Slab platters, for instance are prone to slumping when too thin. A mask, which has the opposite curve of a platter, may not. Glazing can be an issue when a piece is too thin. The clay has to be thick enough to absorb the water in the glaze. If it's too thin, it can't take in enough water, and you can't get a thick enough glaze application without doing several coats. And each coat will take a long time to dry.
  10. Today
  11. Thin can cause slumping issues during the firing. Post firing - clay products much less than 1/8” thickness tend to be fragile to handle especially as their size increases. Open shapes, (Masks etc...) are likely more fragile than closed shapes (Mugs, Bowls.......)
  12. Not sure, I seem to recall element life at cone six was extremely low. In the 30 firing range. Nice kiln for low fire stuff I believe. Neil probably can confirm but 30 firings likely too low for cone sixers.
  13. May be a better option to someone who has been firing completely by manual for the last 30 years! best, Pres
  14. I was taught at an early age that words have weight and deserve respect. I learned words are special and for a time felt they were responsible for creating the universe. Now I'm open to some cooperation between language and numbers but I'm wandering. The lack of respect in western today language is a frustrating thing to listen to or participate in. I sympathise with her attempts to express strong feelings in a foreign language. I hear someone who feels deeply and wants dearly to be heard and understood. Her words, for me, carry passion not bitter, hurtful vitriol. Generally speaking 'we' in the west don't respect much. I don't have much confidence in our ability to protect what we have never mind speak for the best interest of others. We don't deserve nice things in my opinion. Cultures that have suffered historically such as the Japanese or indigenous of N.A. or Australia or Africa are understandably sensitive to western 'good intentions'. I wish humanity could be more kind to each other but I have little hope for anything so revolutionary in my lifetime. I better got off this high horse. Hypocrisy is a difficult thing to keep in check. My kimono is not your couture is perhaps a more tempered viewpoint.
  15. Yes, at 240V 1P it will be a cone 8 kiln. It'll work fine for firing to cone 6, but your element life will be shorter than with a cone 10 kiln.
  16. That's the challenge of making functional kitchen ware. It really has to be perfect. A small dimple and you can use it yourself, but it probably can't be sold. It doesn't take much for it to be unusable. My planters, on the other hand, are almost always usable. My seconds, I either use myself, give away or trade for plants. My plant collection features the worst examples of amateur pottery in the history of mankind. I admire the level of skill it takes to consistently make salable dinnerware. The downside is that I have a tremendous amount of freedom in the studio. I just know I'm not really very good at it.
  17. oh................... read the email again and she is an earthenware potter. there is a vent-sure with it, a new top, several half shelves. the elements were replaced 20 firings ago. this is from a guild member.
  18. I'm talking about incising clay. Ordinary rubber stamps work OK for putting colour on.
  19. hairspray will do it, a Min or Pugaboo tip. local....nearest store thought I aas gonna have neat hair for once.....
  20. I use a torch to pop them, just because I always have one around. I wouldn't use vinegar, it can change the chemistry of your glaze (flocc/deflocc as well as being able to dissolve some things into solution)
  21. My new batch of glaze has a lot of bubbles - Just on the surface. I've stirred it over a few days, but they are still there. Very evident when I dip test tiles. I had this issue before, and found a suggestion to spray a mixture of alcohol and water on the surface. Or could it be vinegar and water? ?? In either case I cant remember the proportions. Any ideas to solve this problem? Many thanks.
  22. Looks like a Cone 8 kiln on single phase 240v. Neil would probably have an opinion.
  23. Nice approach to things. My greatest learning comes from failure if I let my brain slow down enough to think through it and not be too distraught. Sometimes takes a day or two or three though.
  24. well I may learn something when I fire the 2 remaining mugs made in the same way. Benzine I have had handles crack and pul away from mug body when handle has dried too fast, even waxed and wrapped handles in ceram wrap in hot weather. nothing like that in this batch. Scratching my head on this one. Can't even sue power co. Outage due to lightning storm. in fact my heart dropped on reading the Fail message. Thought I may have cooked the power box of kiln..so that is part of my placid acceptance of these mugs. Though not much u can do.. Ha Do you think Spooze will do the trick???:-)) .Drill out. succulents in I guess..
  25. Don't get me wrong, I see 36 mugs and a vase in terms of time and effort spent, but what can I do about it? Well, next time I'm not gonna use that schedule, that's for sure! All I can do is learn and move on. Yes there is a certain arrogance in wanting the things you make to be perfect. The things you make are a reflection of you, so they should be important. Nothing wrong with that, but at the same time there's nothing that can be done. Shikata ga nai my wife would tell me, or c'est la vie, or it is what it is. My 5 year old would be quick to tell me "you git what you git and you don't throw a fit". Anyway, back to the drawing board for me and Babs, let's see if we can't make our next firing our best.
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.