All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. 1-2 dollar per box is 40-80 dollars a ton, that's money in the bank for a potter. If I bought at the box price it would be a lot more than 1-2 dollars a box. You're going to use the clay you buy, why not get it as cheap as possible? Money on the table is money on the table.
  3. CP They use a penetrometer for every large batch http://www.lagunaclay.com/clays/guide/characteristics.php Most clays ship out at 6.5 or at least porcelains-You can call and ask for John Pacini as he is the go to on all things clay.He works Mon-Wens. call 8-8.30 if you want to catch if at his desk. If its in the 5 to 5.5 the boxes start to squish flatter in taller piles.I cannot throw it at that point and it needs to sit and dry some time to be usable. Great for flat stuff. About 5 years ago they switched to softer clays in general as they changed the pent number system they used from the old days. That was an adjustment and about 3 years before that went thru some water supply issues which affected clay bodies. That really change the way B-mix worked and many potters I knew switched to other bodies then. Every clay supplier goes thru changes of water/materials at some point and clay comes out different. Learning how wet it is from the factory and how that effects your throwing of clay is part of the process.Most hobbyists never question all this detail .When I started using clay in volumes I had to know more.That was ion the 80s. If I lived 1 hour from them (I would go crazy with traffic and people-I was born in Long Beach and moved out in 71) but if I did I would buy smaller quantities .Any where where its hot clay will dry out fast . I'm a big clay user and trucking can really add to the cost so saving as much as the trucking cost keeps my costs down. Clay is cheap for sure In My CM article I mentioned keeping costs down-either through a co-op clay buy or working with other potters.Its been part of my success. I buy in bulk always no mater what it may be. 10 gallons of honey from a bee farmer or 55 gallon drum of oil for my older two stroke boat motor. My 3,000# pile of Kingman feldspar from 1980 is down to 500#s and it only cost 300$ back then. I have been using it for almost 40 years now in most glaze bases. Its like free glaze almost . I have space to store things-also part of the plan.The hardest part will be what my wife does with this when I'm gone. Most folks never need this info or want this much material. I'm putting it out for the few who do.
  4. This is interesting to me. Are we talking about transferring COLOR to clay or being able to cut or form a shape into the clay? If adding color imprints, at what step might this best be done? The answers could guide our upcoming advanced 3D immersion class exploration. We like to give the students real-world lab exploration projects. And, this sounds interesting. Smooth-on has a variety of materials for creating molds and/or stamps, I've not nee happy with creating stamps for printing on paper; but, our cadets might be fascinated with finding the best material for stamping color on ceramics surfaces. Cool!
  5. Thanks. I fully agree. One you done or two, the process becomes quite simple to manage. I like the ability to zoom in and out on specific features.
  6. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA......I must be in the wrong group. I got 100 lbs. recently and was worried whether it'll start getting hard before I can work through it.
  7. What is the default softness from Laguna? Could it be anywhere in a range? Is there a meter or tool that measures that? Does the rating system apply equally to porcelain and stoneware? Most industry has gone to requiring supply on demand (I believe) and not stocking future quantities of raw materials. There is certainly joy in looking at a well stocked supply like that. I don't think I can use it personally, because my supply is less than an hour away and the difference between what they charge me for ton price and box price is (I think) a dollar or 2 a box. Clay is a relatively inexpensive part of my finished product. I'm sure your methods are the result of your extensive experience. I'm just trying to take everything you write and see if it can apply to my position. Thanks for that.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Cactus Pots I ordered this special soft (pent. #6) that way it takes longer to dry out. I use the old stuff 1st-I'm working on clay from 1.5 years ago now that was ordered soft back then . We like clay that is harder to make handles from and softer clay for throwing. So two softnesses is best here. The wet climate indeed works well and my shed is facing north and never sees the sun also keeps it cool with no air movemeant . I also like to order before Laguna area gets hot as the summer clay starts out more firm due to the dry air there then. The winter or spring clay is always a bit wetter. After 40 years of ordering you get this dialed in. If I have to I will it through the Peter pugger to add water but thats last resort. Recently I found they did pug two tons at my softness from the year before and last fall I added two sponge squeezes of watere to each bag and then flipped all the boxes on all sides over a few months to soften them all up evenly. It worked well but was a pain in the neck. Thios time I ordered 12 tons of softer pent #6 clay and they made it all the same. Usually I order regualr 6.5 and #6 this time no screw ups all #6.Its easy to make it firmer but hardewr to wet it evenly. Porcealin is not as easy to rewet as stoneware.
  10. Yes, thank you! I should have qualified this by saying I am not looking to put found clay into the hands of children, as I am aware of the toxicity issues, but mostly want to document through photographs and perhaps a sample to look at but not use. Thanks for the suggestions and the links!
  11. I have mine shipped up from Pittsburgh by SC. They find a shipper, and since I order a ton at a time all good on price. I have it put on the drive way or the street by the delivery, then unload the pallet by handcart. Thing is I usually only use 1000# a year, so some will just freeze over the winter. I don't pay extra for bag ties, as it never seems to dry out. I am using the last of the clay, and will soon order another ton. Hazelnut and 630 white. best, Pres
  12. Got the new infinite switch installed and on the first pass it seems to be working. All the elements come on and heat up just fine. Still got some testing to do, but it looks like we're on the right path! Thanks again for sharing your advice!
  13. Now there's an advantage to the rainy climate. If I bought a 2 year supply, half (or more) would be too hard for throwing. My supplier is about 45 minutes away. I think I'll be restocking every other firing, or 4 months. My plans may change. I gotta say, that's a sweet sight, 400 boxes stacked. Money in the bank.
  14. Many thanks for your reply. I tried to contact Podmores but I understand that they ceased trading and all records of equipment built have been lost
  15. Seattle pottery will deliver to me if it's over a ton, I think I'll do that next time. They charge quite a bit though since I'm on the outer edge of their delivery range. But if I go that route I won't be able to browse the aisles and figure out how to give them even more of my money Gonna try that next time I think, hard to stop my tahoe on the freeway when it's got a ton of clay over the back tires.
  16. ya know youtube is just full of videos on pottery and kilns. Just binge on it until you get it enough to fire a load and maybe go to Amazon and get a couple of books on the basics. there is also a sub for pottery on reddit.com and several facebook group as wel. Good luck, have fun.
  17. I have two tons power loaded (forklift) put into my 3/4 ton pickup and drive slow home where I hand load it into shed.Cars really cannot handle much of a clay load-a ton is to much.I also have a trailer (self dumping) that can handle two tons and I hitch it to my 1 ton Van as well. Its just harder to unload that last ton from the trailer than my truck.I can slide the load in the truck buy using the brakes to get that inside pallet to the rear.After 30 years of this I have it down.
  18. you might find some leads by doing a cad forum search similar to this : http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/search/?&q=Podmore "Alsager wheel"&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy also: https://www.pottersconnection.co.uk/shop/24/sub_3.htm and: http://www.potters.org/subject18307.htm LT
  19. Nice! I ordered my first ton in February and I'm down to 8 boxes. I don't know where it all went, I don't feel like there's a ton worth of mugs and bowls outside. I'm a member of the local clay art guild so I get the ton price on clay anyway, but my clay supply is an hour away so it was worth it to me. Only problem was my tahoe got a bit squirrelly on the ride home, it didn't like hauling that much haha
  20. Well my clay came in last week the day before leaving for a 5 day art show trip.It was dropped off at a specialty lumber yard who are friends of mine. About 4 miles away. My total weight was 23,628. #s I got 4 tons the 1st day in two trips. Another two the day I drove home from show on Monday and the rest on Tuesday just before the rain came The shed holds just over 12 tons and the pile you see is 400 Boxes of Daves porcelain or 10 tons. I also got a ton of dry glaze -my formula in 50# bags and a few hundred #s of glaze materials as well as some Babu Porcelain and my friends 500# of Danish white (two kind one its sand one without) that I mix for her. I'm dropping that to her today while firing two glaze fires. This clay I hope will last almost two years. The clay send is on my dead end road on a steep hill. Clay is stacked 9 in front and 10 in back -boxes high and 7 deep This shed is on the backside of my studio and I store about 1 ton inside to have it warm. This year I did all the logistics this year and hired my own truck as Laguna is 12 hours away one way. I saved 1k getting over 12 tons which made the trucking free. I also hired a friends son to help me move about 2/3 of it so I only did 4 tons myself solo. Its job you want to be over.
  21. I use a few masons stains in my fish for colors under a clear glaze at cone 10-the blacks work-I thin them for greys. I tested the pinks and they work as well for salmon color. Testing is key. I'm firing reduction
  22. Not familiar with that wheel-I would contact maker for info
  23. Mason 6300 Mazerine is a cobalt/zinc silicate stain and Mason 6485 is a titanium/chrome/antimony stain, since the stains have different bases they might not combine in an expected way, like watercolour paints do. Also, since there is chrome in the 6485, and chrome is very refractory, it might make a difference with the covering glaze being a bit "dry". Covering glaze can contain zinc for the Mazerine but Mason doesn't give info for the 6485 Yellow but in glazes chrome plus zinc tends to make brownish colours.
  24. Derek Au and Jake Corboy have tested an extensive number of stains in glaze and clay. The base chemistry can affect the color of certain stains (glazes with magnesium can turn chrome/tin [maroon to pink] stains grey) but this should give you a general idea. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see the different stains. These are all cone 6 oxidation. https://glazy.org/recipes/34778 https://glazy.org/recipes/18705 https://glazy.org/recipes/30094 Jake Corboy's website https://www.jakecorboy.com/all-testing-info This is an excellent matte glaze and there are a number of different stains tested if you scroll to the pictures at the bottom. https://digitalfire.com/4sight/recipes/matte_glaze_base_for_cone_6_121.html
  25. Thanks for the advice folks. Yeah, I know Chris is the Clay Coloring Guru. Does she not post here anymore?
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.