All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Forming mosaic tiles in low-fire clay today. Did a sketch for a gourd vase. 

3. yappystudent

Most used sieve size?

TY for the responses. 80 it is.
  4. Mark C.

Most used sieve size?

I have two Talisman sieves-with a set of all the screens. I also have one of their mini screens in an 80 for test batches as well as many 12 inch metal rings and a few plastic/brass screens-I mostly only use the Talismans with 80 mesh in them-my original is made from aluminum before they went to plastic. I have wore out two sets of bushings and many sets of brushes-I keep spares of course.I visited the Talisman shop/factory when I was in New Zealand in the 90's and bought a slew of parts back then. I could not do what bi do in the same time frame without this tool.Thge other key to using one is having a flexible short hose on your washout sink to clean this tool-my is silicone rubber 3/4 inch hose on the long pipe above my special wash out sink in studio.It a joy to wash it up with the right setup.
  5. Today
  6. Linda A

How much propane will I use

Hello all Thanks for all the input about propane. Yes, where I live in British Columbia, Vancouver Island ,propane is sold by weight ( pound). So I have a 100 pound tank that is portable. Neil, I found out my burners are 60,000 BTU's. linda
  7. neilestrick

Where I buy propane it's by the pound. I thought that was how they did it for portable size tanks.
  8. neilestrick

DIY Refractory on Pyrometer Thermocouple?

I assume this is the type that has the exposed tip, and the ceramic sleeve pieces that slide over it? If so, the ceramic parts don't really matter much, as long as the two metal parts aren't touching anywhere except the end where they're welded together. That said, if there's any question about the condition and accuracy of the thermocouple, replace it. They're pretty cheap in the big picture. If you want to extend its life, put it in a ceramic protection tube.
  9. What exactly are we looking at here? Are those fired samples of pure titanium, raw, in glazes, etc?
  10. neilestrick

Humidity and Raku Results?

I don't see how humidity would have any effect on raku results. I think that's just a convenient place to put the blame for variations in the results.
  11. neilestrick

Cone 6 Porcelain Elaine's crystal

When it comes to porcelain, it doesn't really matter how slowly you dry them. If it's going to pop, it's going to pop. The issue is that porcelain shrinks a lot and has very poor plasticity and dry strength. So if the pot is leather hard and you're attaching a wet handle, then you're going to have issues regardless of how you're attaching them, because the handle has a lot of shrinking to do in comparison to the pot, and the attachment will be weak and pull apart because of the poor plasticity and dry strength. The best thing you can do is get the handle as close to the dryness of the pot as possible before attaching it. I prefer the look of a handle pulled directly on the mug, but with porcelain that's often not possible. So what I do is pull my handles on a bisqued mug, let it dry until it pops off easily, then let it dry on a bat until it's firm enough to handle without messing it up- still a little bit flexible. Then I attach the top to the mug, get the shape just right, and wait until it's almost firm before attaching the bottom. At that point I can put them in the kiln and speed dry them if necessary, because the pot and handle are already equalized. You don't necessarily have to go to this much trouble- it all depends on what type of handle you make. But you do need to let it dry a bunch before attaching it.
  12. There is also the Potters Attic https://www.facebook.com/groups/PottersAttic/ and posting at any art school or local public pottery studio.
  13. Sales are not allowed to be listed on the forum as it is against the Terms of Use. Try this link: https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/freebies/classifieds/ best, Pres
  14. We live in Redondo Beach, CA and have this BEAUTIFUL, barely used 220v kiln and accessories that we need to sell. What is the best place to do that?
  15. Hey y'all. In the process of working on my retrofit propane kiln over the past year, my pyrometer's thermocouple has had some of its refractory coating chipped & broken off, and at this point there's not very much of it left. It's an analog pyrometer, and it still reads *somewhat* accurately, in that when it reaches a cone on the readout, the cone will begin bending. That said, I'm concerned because it feels like it's goading me toward "pushing" the gas a little too much, a little too fast, or cranking it unnecessarily. The pyrometer will stall, and until I crank it it'll rise maybe another 200-300 degrees in about an hour. I'm concerned that, maybe with the refractory coating, it will give a little more insight into the actual heatwork taking place? I know nothing can really substitute for a cone, and I'm still using them—I just get the feeling that the pyrometer isn't reading as well as it could be. I'm wondering if A) my assessment has any accuracy and B ) if there's any way to (even temporarily) give it a refractory coating, and if it's something that anyone has had any experience with. I was considering just making some wads and putting'em on there, but I also don't want to make it any worse. Thanks for your help
  16. neilestrick

Most used sieve size?

80 is all I ever use. I keep a 150 mesh also, but it's only needed with a rare handful of materials, like if you have a stain that tends to speckle rather than evenly disperse. When I worked for A.R.T. Clay, out of the 50 or more color stains that we used in our glaze lines, there was only one that required the 150 mesh.
  17. Yesterday
  18. curt

Most used sieve size?

80 mesh is good because most anything that passes it will also go through a sprayer without blocking it up.
  19. Thanks. The purged clay dark cores I am referring to is a commercial clay. And one batch of this when dry had the rubbery strands which made me think a product had been added which was not bentonite or ball clay... I am aware of the light Bentonite, curt filled me in in that.
  20. No commercials -only CDs I have so no junk tunes. Must have tunes I have a radio but it used less than .005% of time
  21. Babs: i would have to look through the mine data from Aussie land to narrow down specific clay varieties. However, from dealing with Gokul on the laterite from India: red clay species contain hematite ( iron). From the world mine maps, many locations in Aussie also have hematite. Because hematite is FeO3 and not FeS which is normally found in the States: it has a direct reaction to oxidation. (Exposure to air) (IF) your red clay has hematite, then the exterior of a pug will be a different color than the interior. Hematite is also known to streak black to dark grey: and typically fires a deeper terra cotta color than in the States. as far as the fibrous/ gummy strands: very possible your bentonite is not dispersing. http://shop.walkerceramics.com.au/BA455.1/Hectalite-_dash_-White-Bentonite/pd.php this product sold down under is mislabeled: it is sodium hectorite, not bentonite. Sodium hectorite is much more plastic than bentonite, and is a much finer particle size. It does gel to some degree, but not nearly as bad as bentonite. Would also make a better glaze suspender than bentonite. one simple trick about dry mixing in a pugger: I dry blend the recipe first, without the plasticizers. The week or day before mixing; I mix the plastizer with a few pounds of the dry clay and dry blend. Then I add the water and let it sit at least a day before I mix it. The plasticizers then absorb all the water they are going to before mixing. T
  22. Babs

cadmium red

Yeh avoid it. I have a drinking vessel by a Scottish potter , purchased at Harrods, bright red inner, beautiful unglazed outer. I don'tdrink from it but I think the comments at the time was that the red had been introduced in an encapsulated form. I'll try to find it.
  23. GEP

Most used sieve size?

I only use 80 mesh, but I have two of them. The full-size five-gallon bucket sieve, and a little one for making test batches.
  24. Thanks glaze Nerd, certainly is logical. The stuff I found in the dried out clay was stretchy and 'rubbery strands. What are the plasticisers used for grout etc by builders. My current terracotta clay co as with a central core running through the purged clay of a darker colour than the outer clay. Bentonite??? Rich clay? Thanks for keeping it succinc!
  25. Callie Beller Diesel

Most used sieve size?

Are you asking about volume? I haven't yet reached the point where a Talisman is needed, and I probably made $30,000 worth of pots last year. (That's made, not sold.) I have an 80 mesh that fits over a 5 gallon pail, and a couple of test sieves. They have been serving my needs just fine for the last 15 years. Make sure whatever you get is easy to clean.
  26. Mark C.

Most used sieve size?

I own them all-30-40-50-60-80-100-120 I now only use my 80 mesh-80 is all you really need.
  27. Mark C.

I use 4 of the MR100s and 4 Mr75s on my large car kiln(8 total)-they work fine (natural gas not propane) The long centuries like ransoms are super nice burners but the are costly .
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.